Thursday, March 15, 2012

Someone Worth Redeeming

I had an interesting conversation today about whether or not a Christian can ever lose his/her salvation. As I have tried to make my relationship with God my first priority, I realize that I fail...miserably. And, the failure isn't exactly what I'm worried about - that happens all the time - but rather, it's the getting back up again. Phrases like, "Well, you're worth it to God, so don't give up," or "God has a plan for your life," just don't always seem to cut it. Yes, I know those things, but why?? Why did God even care?

I was reminded of my Bible as Literature class from high school. In that class, we were taught that each book in the Old Testament begins to paint a picture of who God is and what His character looks like. In Genesis, He is painted as Creator; in Exodus, He is Savior; in Leviticus, He is holy; in Numbers, I see Him as the Shepherd who is counting His sheep; and, in Deuteronomy and Joshua, He is strength and Provider. So, what about Judges?? All of these amazingly cool characteristics stand out, despite Israel's issues of unfaithfulness...until we get to Judges. And, He's fed up with the people...yet again. I mean, in Genesis, He destroyed the entire planet, save 8 people - oh, and the animals. But, the overwhelming presence of God in Judges says what??

It doesn't stay there! I can't stay in Judges. It's a good and important reminder that God is God and that it is His prerogative to judge - He is the Judge. But, Ruth comes next. What is the characteristic of God that shines in Ruth? He is Redeemer. That's more than Savior. Both are important, but think about what it means to be redeemed? It means that the full price is paid to set you free - no budget cuts.

To be redeemed is like someone paying the price for a car that has seen its better days. A car that is beat up, torn down, barely running, and only called a car because it has four tires on it. A car that couldn't make it to the gas station, if it wanted to. A car that is purchased for the purpose of being restored. To be returned to its original glory and splendor. And, the glory and splendor are not really the car's, but they belong to the one that restores it. The person restoring it takes pride in the beauty being returned.

But, why? The car wasn't worth it. It takes more money to restore the car than it is worth. You literally throw money away at that car. For what? To see it restored to beauty? What's the point? Why even care about the car in the first place? Why not just scrap it and sell it for junked parts?

That's what I struggle with. I wasn't worth redeeming. I'm still not. So, why? "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8 NIV). "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16 NIV).

Love.

Simply put, God loves us. God loved me. He loves you. And, you are someone worth redeeming!

No comments:

Post a Comment