Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Nugget of Freshness - 3/19/12


How often do you think about or consider your family? Do you trust them? Do you love them? I think about each of our family gatherings (both the intimate and extended) and just consider myself to be completely blessed. I mean, I've never been punched by my brother. I've never had to worry about my family stealing from me. And, I actually miss them when I am away from them.

I've had a great family experience. Sure, we occasionally get into arguments. And, of course, they know how to press my buttons very easily. But, we're family and we love each other. Done.

As I read through Mark 3:20-35, there is a different set of rules being applied to family. As I read through this, I kept thinking, "But, Jesus! That's not fair! How can you just cast away your family like that??"

He redefines family, by saying, "Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother." I wondered why I would even need a new family. Why would I want to replace who I have? I have it good! But, Jesus is telling us that the family is welcome to join, they just aren't going to be given the kingdom of God, if they don't participate.

Surprisingly, that brings comfort. While I love my family, I have a HUGE extended family. The family of God has been redefined to include all that believe in and follow Jesus Christ. Think about the family that you have been brought into! Whether you come from a good background or an intolerable one, you are being ushered into a revolutionary family that is committed to praising God!

I just wanted to share that nugget of freshness. You are an amazing gift from God, so don't waste your life. Be the blessing this week!

God's blessings on your life this week,

Bryan
Be sure to share the love!

If you'd like to subscribe to this weekly devotional, please forward your email and name to thebtaylor@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment