Thursday, July 1, 2010

Joshua, My Colleague

I submit to you this statement on behalf of the exceptional work completed by Josh Flick during his term of service in my office. Rest assured that this is not an official document, but rather a personal reflection as a grateful colleague.

There are very few men to whom I can attribute the mark of integrity without reservation or hesitation. I, for one, cannot even attribute that quality to myself, because I know my inner spirit all too well. Josh, however, is the exception to the rule, and the following will outline his distinguishable service to the office and university.

I will start at the end and work backward, since today is still fresh in my mind. Up until the very last minute, anyone who did not know Josh personally would have thought that he was a long-term employee and would arrive at work the next morning for another dayʼs worth of work. On his very last day, he was moving furniture for the very people that were replacing him; he was filing, calling, helping through the duration of the day rather than wasting time around the office; he was doing everything that he normally did to provide an honest dayʼs work. Even when the temptation to leave early occurred to him, he stayed through his normal working hours. I asked myself why someone would do this, but came up with only one answer: integrity.

But one day should not be the entire measure of this man. Every single day, with the exception of a handful of days which required his attention elsewhere, Josh came in on or before time, took a short lunch, and then stayed until the office closed. There was no need for him to give an extra half hour or hour each day, but he did, because he was asked to keep his shift late. Could he have taken a longer lunch? Yes, but there was always someone or something that needed his attention and his full attention was continually given.

When told that he was working his last day as if it were his first, his response was, “Why should today be any different? Why should today change?” What I find most unfathomable about this situation is the fact that Josh was not here to be taught, but to teach. In each and every moment of his work, he was dedicated to making the life of someone else more pleasing, more productive or more secure in Christ. If anyone deserves to be blessed of God it is him.

I normally do not consider that any human should deserve God's blessing, but if I changed my opinion, Josh would be one of the select few. So I pray God's richest blessings upon him for his influence, his character, his integrity, and his continual Christ-like love. When someone proves to be a true Christian, I think they should be recognized, if only to show others that it is possible to do. May his example shine for others to catch and adopt.

Blessings Joshua!

No comments:

Post a Comment