Thursday, October 27, 2011

Considering Joy

James 1:2 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance."

I'm curious as to what those "trials of many kinds" actually look like. When was the last time that I faced something that was seriously considered a trial? For that matter, when was the last time that I actually did something that serious. If I consider my minuscule issues "trials," what will actually happen when I face a real trial?

I love how James phrases this, because he says "trials of many kinds." That means I will sometimes have big trials, sometimes small ones, and sometimes even things that I have no clue how to classify. But, he says that regardless the type of trial, when I come through it, my faith will have been tested and proven. THAT is what really gets me.

I desire perfection, but obviously won't get there any time soon. However, I know that when my faith has been tested and comes out stronger, that I will have more perseverance for the future trials. How amazing is it, that we are blessed with a God who sees exactly what we need and helps us through?

In Luke 11:11-13, Jesus asked, "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

When you are faced with trials, pray for the Spirit of God to fill your life and dwell with you. There is nothing more that you can ask for and God expects that you ask for nothing less. He knows exactly what we need to persevere, so give Him the opportunity to make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment