Friday, October 21, 2011

Letters to My Wife, Chapter 6

I was asked, repeatedly, what my "type" was. Who would I desire to date? What did I look for in a wife? I mean, I wanted to be completely honest, but sometimes I just didn't know what to say. Most people wanted to know if I looked for a brunette or a blond and how tall she should be and whether she was thin and all of that superficial stuff. While I'll admit, I desired a woman who was beautiful, I didn't necessarily have a "type" as most people wanted to know.

I wanted to see the heart. I wanted someone with whom I could have a real and honest conversation. I wanted deeper than the typical, superficial relationship that I saw in so many people around me. Often people wondered why I was so picky, and it was because I just couldn't see myself with this girl or that one. There was nothing beyond the physical attraction and that bothered me.

So, when people asked about my type, I shared my prayer:

"Lord, I ask that you bring me a beautiful woman to be my wife. Please let her be someone who will love and respect me; and someone that I can love and respect in return. Let her be someone that will join with me in ministry. And, let her be someone that I can pour my heart into and will pour her heart into me in return. Thank you, Lord."

At hearing this, most people would respond with, "Awwe," as if I had discovered some secret to love and happiness. The truth is, I was still single. I would often wonder if I had prayed the wrong prayer or if my prayer would ever be answered. But, I waited with anticipation. I knew that God would send you, and I held on to that hope. I knew that, if I was faithful to my God, He would bless me, more abundantly than I had ever thought possible.

Now that we're finally married, I realize that I couldn't have asked for anyone more appropriate. My God supplied my needs and blessed me with a woman who completes me so fully, I haven't the words to express it. So, I simply say, "I love you. Thank you, for being a part of the rest of my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment