Thursday, February 26, 2009

Imago Dei

In the image of God...This is an interesting concept that gives us both freedom and responsibility in regard to our faith. Not only are we made in God's image, but also we have His Spirit living within us as a beliver in Jesus Christ. But what does all of this really mean?

There are two questions with which I have struggled over the past week to both comprehend and answer, each giving way to my response to God. The first, 'But who do you say that I am?' is a question posed by Jesus nearing the time of His betrayal. After asking His disciples what people thought of Him, He posed this intimate question to find out what His disciples thought as well. To answer it, one would have to consider the mind of the disciples at this time. These were people that spent a considerable amount of time with Jesus. In fact, Peter, James, and John, were with Him constantly as His closest and most trusted friends. They were being asked the hard question - 'Who do YOU say that I am?' It was no longer a matter of 'Do you call Me your friend?' but rather one of 'Do you call Me the Christ, the Messiah?'

As a child who grew up in church, Jesus was an amazing character who made stories come to life. He was the reason why we celebrated. He was the reason why we worshipped. He was the reason for our savlation. And none of that has changed. What has changed is my view of the Christ. I've grown out of my childhood thinking that Jesus was a character that came down and helped me when I bruised my knee. But when I stop to consider the depth of my sin, the awfulness of my depravity, it seems that I need a bigger bandaid that covers more than just my knee. Jesus is the One to save me from my sins, but He's asking the question...'Who do you say that I am?' Do I truly believe that He is the Christ?

Hmm...do I truly believe that He is the Christ? It's a serious question for each of us to consider. But do I? The obvious answer is 'yes,' the more sublte answer is 'yes, but not with my whole heart.' See, if I truly believed with my whole heart, I wouldn't hang on to the things of the world. I wouldn't have to stop in mid-sentence and ponder the question. I would know.

The second question is, 'What do I know of holy?' It comes from a song (unfortunately I do not know the artist) and provokes a deep answer. But I consider these questions to be linked. When I stand in the presence of the Most High and He asks me what I know about holiness, what will be my answer? That I went to church every week? That I read my Bible? NO. My answer has to answer the question of holiness. Do you sin? Do you continually sin? Are you so pure, that no blemish is found within your heart? If you were being offered up as a sacrifice for the rest of the world, would you actually be able to save them as a lamb without spot?

I believe holiness to be linked to a blameless and spotless conscience. One that is not beguiled by the world or anything that goes against the will of God. Holiness (again, just my opinion) is derived from following the perfect will of God without question or doubt. If sin is us turning away from God's will and going against Him, then holiness is the complete devotion to His calling.

So what do I know about holiness? Have I experienced a holy life? Have I lived without spot or blemish? This question is one that has brought me to a dead stop. The fact that I had to think about it tells me that I'm not entirely convinced of my innocence. It makes sense that I am a human and a sinner, but have I thought more of myself than I ought? You can't equate ignorance with blamelessness.

And this brings me back to the image of God. We have been created in His image, for His pleasure. So what have we been doing with that responsibility? First, and foremost, do we consider God to be 'God' or just another character in our lives? Secondly, what are we doing to uphold the image of God? He hates sin and will not associate with it, so do we have sin that is keeping us from God? Lastly, is our entire life devoted to a myth, a legend, or a real and amazingly awesome Creator of the Universe that is ready and willing to cleanse us and give us a completely new life in Him?

The question is not whether or not you are a Christian, but rather do you serve the God of this universe with your entire life, so as to be named blameless on the day of judgement?

1 comment:

  1. "We have been created in His image, for His pleasure. So what have we been doing with that responsibility?"

    oh man. those last two paragraphs had a lot of good stuff. One of the lessons I've been learning is the nature of my depravity. My sinful self that I cannot shake, no matter how badly I want to. our sinful nature will never go away, only by His blood, His cross, His shame, His separation from God for those long terrible three hours, the punishment we deserved for eternity, are we able to even face the God of this universe on the day of judgement.

    So I better serve him.
    Everything I do better be in glory to him.
    It's the least I can do.

    That's what I'm learning. but not nearly there yet.

    ReplyDelete