Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Understanding God's Healing

I'm not going to profess to understand everything about God's amazing power to heal; but, I would like to share God's healing hand in my life tonight.

I've always known that God has the ability to bring about physical healing. I read the stories of His healing throughout the Bible and also of His other miraculous works, and I continually am amazed what He has done. However, I wasn't raised in a church that overtly talked about physical healing, so it was always something that I expected happened at other places. Sure, I didn't doubt that God could heal someone from my church, or even my family, but it just wasn't something that we saw.

Tonight, I experienced yet another healing moment, but I'm not sure that I've ever really thought of it as such until now. Since we have youth group on Wednesday nights, I usually come very tired after a normal work day. On several occasions, I have come home from work with a headache, sometimes borderline migraine, and not wanted to go to youth group. It's not that I don't love my church or my people, but rather that I literally feel as if I am going to fall over. Tonight was one of those nights.

I specifically remember driving to pick up a couple of the teens at their school and thinking, "I hope that I can stay conscious long enough to just get through this service." But, I also spent some time in prayer. I know that, if God has called me to the task of preaching, then He will equip me with everything that I need to get the job done. So, I just asked that God heal me - even if it was only to preach.

7 o'clock rolled by and still the headache was there. It was so bad, I was having trouble seeing straight and didn't even know how I was going to remember the message. And then God, as He has often done, said, "It's time to start. Let's go." Immediately, I was taken to another place and I was ushered on stage to lead the group in praising God. No headache. No thought of a headache. No desire to be in bed. My only thoughts and desires were to lead my group into the presence of God, so that they could connect with God.

As soon as church was over and I was back in my car, the headache had returned. I realize that I had it for a reason - I was dehydrated; but, what blows my mind is the fact that God takes care of me, every time He needs me to do His work.

Sure, it's not like I had a broken arm that was healed. It's not like I had a terminal disease that was taken away. I wasn't taken from a mat, carried into the presence of Jesus, touched by His hands, and told to walk; but, my body was healed so that I could preach the Word of God to the group.

Well, Bryan, that's not really that big of a deal.

Maybe not, but one of the teens was saved tonight. A young man, lost and alone, was forever changed, because he heard the message of the Gospel. Call it whatever you want, but I believe that my God handles things when they need to be dealt with. I believe that He intends for us to prosper. I believe that He desires a blessed relationship with us. And, I also believe that many will turn their back on Him, because they don't quite get it - the message, that is.

I just want you to be encouraged. I know that, often, we are required to follow God without knowing what will happen or how it will happen or even who will go with us. That's exactly how I felt tonight and I was reassured that only one thing mattered: connecting to God. I encourage you to follow that same path. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then connect with me and I'll connect you to Him.

Blessings upon your life.

2 comments:

  1. Brayn, I completely agree with you on this post. I'm the Games Director for Awana at my church, and I always leave work on Wednesdays feeling completely zapped, clueless as to how I'm going to entertain that many kids for an hour. Yet by God's grace, EVERY week, I leave the church after Awana with energy like I've just woken up from a good night's sleep. No chance of that except by God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shouldn't be, but am continually amazed at what God can do when we just open our lives to Him. He is an amazing God and I owe Him soooo much more than I could ever give.

    ReplyDelete