Saturday, March 6, 2010

Playing for Rascal Flatts

Not many of you know of my fame with the legendary group Rascal Flatts, so I thought I would regale you with my adventures.

It all started on a rainy summer day in Arkansas. I had just arrived in Little Rock and was greeted by my amazing friend Allen Pointer. We headed to the car, where we met Ryan Akers (affectionately known as "Intern Boy") and started off to Russelleville. As we were driving down the interstate, they related a story that had happened on the way to summer camp, in which every single bus was said to be the tour bus of Rascal Flatts. Apparently there were some girls that were "big fans" and couldn't stop talking about how the LOVED the band. So we decided during the car ride that I would act as the bass player for Rascal Flatts when we showed up for Sunday School the next morning.

Fast-forwarding to Sunday School the next day, I found myself slightly anxious, because, while I knew the band's music, I really knew little else about them. But, being the gregarious thespian that I am, I knew that I could play the role perfectly. So as Ryan walked in, I followed. He introduced me as Bryan the bassist for Rascal Flatts. He did it in such a way as to be sly and casual, but you could see it on the faces of both the girls and boys. The boys looked dejected, while the girls looked giddy and excited.

There were a couple girls (to remain nameless, although they know who they are - Brittany Tucker) who decided to bridge the gap and approach me. As I smiled and told them of our tour, I couldn't help thinking how WRONG this was, but how AMAZing it was. It seemed completely interesting to me that while they professed to be avid fans of the band (and owned, like, every, single, CD, on, the, planet), none of them actually knew what the bassist looked like.

Well, we went through the entire duration of Sunday School with none the wiser, except the adults. So I followed everyone into the sanctuary and prepared to meet my Maker at the altar for my sins of the morning. About this time, one of the girls came storming through the doors and walked directly up to me. From the look on her face, I thought that she was going to pin me to the floor and use me for kick boxing practice. With eyes that had been thoroughly moistened, she said, "you LIED to me!"

Needless to say, I felt a little sheepish. Especially considering that I was in the House of the Lord. With a completely stupid grin on my face, I tried to explain the "joke", but she would have none. There was to be NO consolation that morning. For the remainder of the service I sat awkwardly, wondering if she would ever forgive me.

I think, in the end, I might have received a slight smile, but that was about it. Fortunately, the church still stands and everyone has moved on about their daily lives. While the joke was extremely funny, I supposed that Sunday School is prolly not the best place to tell of the mighty adventures of the band...But, we live and learn, right?

1 comment: