Saturday, March 20, 2010

Waiting for God to Catch Up

You're probably thinking that God is going to strike be down right now, but I think it's important to share the following thoughts.

I've usually considered myself to be a patient person in some areas and impatient in others. I think, when it's been an area of passion, I've been less patient, because I see how things could just be fixed really easily and then all would be better. But God has been teaching me to slow down and wait for Him.

Now - I know that His plan is always better; but I'm here to tell you that knowing that in my head and in my heart are two completely different things. Because what I want God to do and what He wills to be done are two different things, and the idea that I have to be patient and allow God's will to be done is something that goes in direct contradiction to my own omniscience. You're thinking, "Bryan, you're not omniscient," and my response is usually, "Well how do you know?" But I think you get the general drift. If God is going to work in and through our lives, then we HAVE to have less of us and more of Him.

So there's been a tension in my heart, one that requires that I wait for God to catch up with my perceived plan for life. And every time that I tell God to hurry up, He takes a moment to remind me that I'm walking too far ahead and that He's getting ready to turn down a fork in the road that I missed. I'm no Eagle Scout, but I've been walking the path of life for awhile now, and I totally missed that fork. So how in the world could God have seen what I missed?

Better yet - how could God see a better plan for my life than what I see? How could He know more about what is best for me than I do? How could He know what blessings await me if I will just be patient? Oh, that's right! He's God.

My encouragement to you is that you have patience for His will. As much as I say that to others, I have such a hard time living it out myself. His ways are higher, His thoughts are more in tune with the grand scheme of things that we will ever know. So, maybe it's time that we catch up to Him, rather than waiting on Him to catch up to us. It might actually mean that we have to change our direction, and for many of us that becomes problematic. But it's a worthy goal, ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment