Monday, November 14, 2011

Sermon Notes - 11/14/11

I was reading a blog, recently, about taking sermon notes. Regardless of the rest of the blog, I started thinking about how often we take sermon notes and why. And, then I started thinking about whether or not we actually pay attention in church. I mean, do our notes reflect what we learned in the sermon? Do they just represent the main points that someone tried to get across to us? Are they just doodles?

Do you pay attention? To life?

We just had a recent discussion in youth group about the usefulness of cell phones in a church service. Their response, without my prompting, was that phones are unnecessary in church. I asked that those with the Bible app on their phone to raise their hand. About half of the hands went up. Then I asked that those who owned a physical Bible put their hands down. Only one hand was left up, and I promised to get her a Bible.

When we take out all of our excuses for not paying attention, we really are forced to ask the hard question. Do I really and truly want a relationship with God or am I just really, really good at pretending?

Psalm 78:1-4 says, "My people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth with a parable; I will utter hidden things, things from of old - things we have heard and known, things our ancestors have told us. We will not hide them from their descendants; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, His power, and the wonders He has done."

I hope that you can answer the question of life.

God's blessings on your life this week,

Bryan
Be sure to share the love!

If you'd like to subscribe to this weekly devotional, please forward your email and name to thebtaylor@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment