Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Second-Rate Love

As I sit, considering tomorrow's Thanksgiving festivities, I'm forced to reflect upon tonight's communion service message from Revelation 2:2-5. Some of us are thankful for things. Others of us are thankful for family and our church body. Sometimes, we forget the only thing worth remembering: our First Love.

In a recent conversation with a friend, I was drawn to the fact that my love for Christ, however strong, never fully reaches the love that Christ first had for us. "How are you today?"

"I'm about 75%."

"Interesting, because 75% pure gold is still considered to be impure." It wasn't a statement of condemnation, rather one of self-reflection. Have I ever attained first-rate love? A communion service, a remembrance of our communion and one-ness with Christ, should bring us back to remembering our First Love. And yet, why is it, that most of my life is spent with the feeling of being a second-rate lover.

I offer the following lyrics as my reflection. I realize that it can sound like a love song, but consider the words as you stand face-to-face with Christ. Maybe I'll record the music...someday...for now, consider the reflection.

You look so beautiful to me
Reminding me of nothing that I've seen
Drawing me to reframe the everything that I'm dreaming
I think the state of my me brings a purer love for Thee

I stand here as a second-rate
Holding only the shadow left behind
I sing hallelujah-lelujah
For the wonder of Your love
So pure and mine

I feel Your scarred and wounded hands
Not keeping me from driving the nail again
Bringing me to the place of giving up my needs
I think with less of me I'll find a purer love for Thee

I stand here as a second-rate, a second-rate
Holding only the shadow left behind
I sing hallelujah-lelujah
For the wonder of Your love

I bring to You the praise with my life
Leaving my depravity and sin so far behind
I sing hallelujah-lelujah
For the wonder of Your love
So pure and mine

No comments:

Post a Comment