Monday, September 12, 2011

A Few More Commands - 9/12/11

We just had Bro. Curtis Linton at our church for a revival. I wasn't able to attend all of the services, but he started off the series (Monday night) with a sermon on Achan's sin. In light of the fact that I just sent out an email about obeying God's commands, I thought I might use some of his sermon to highlight or readdress a couple more thoughts. Take a look at Joshua 7:1. It says that "the Israelites were unfaithful in regard to the devoted things." Achan was the only man that took what he wasn't supposed to, but ALL of Israel was considered sinful, because of his actions. WHAT?? How on EARTH is that fair?

You guys know that I am very close to my family. Consider, for instance, that I were to do something for which the rest of my siblings would receive punishment. I know what you're thinking…"Bryan would NEVER do that!" Well, that may or may not be true. But, rather than bring any blame on myself or anyone else, let's just consider this theoretical situation. Would that be fair? Absolutely not! So why would my parents have reason to discipline all four of us? Even worse, what if my parents were to discipline the other three and not me? What would be the initial reaction of the other three?

I think there would be anger - for sure. I think there would also be some resentment. However, I hope that, after some time had passed, my siblings would consider our future as a family. You see, we've never just stopped at telling someone what we think they should or shouldn't do. Rather, we dive into their life and make sure that they know how serious we are in keeping them from trouble. If I had a habit of getting the others in trouble, they would try even harder to keep me from future trouble. Interesting.

Reconsider Achan. A man who, for all intensive purposes, isn't that significant. His sin affects the entire nation of Israel. It starts Joshua on a road of doubt as the leader of the people. It causes the deaths of 36 men and routed the Israelite army in humiliation. It caused unrest, strife, and mourning in the camp of the Israelites. One man's sin did this. ONE man.

How many "one man" situations are causing you or those closest to you to fail? We're not just individuals living out this life, despite the fact that we are individually responsible for our decisions and commitment to God. We keep each other accountable. You are held to accountability by those closest to you.

You affect those around you.

So take some time to be honest with yourself this week. In what ways are you holding others hostage by your own actions? Do something about it. How are others holding you hostage by their actions? Do something about it. But, do it in love.

God's blessings on your life this week,

Bryan
http://thebtaylor.blogspot.com
Be sure to share the love!

If you'd like to subscribe to this weekly devotional, please forward your email and name to thebtaylor@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment